Page 1 of 1

Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:41 am
by john poole
Billy Roberts, the writer of ‘Hey Joe’, a song with a complicated history, is 80 today, born William Roberts 16th August, 1936 (Greenville, South Carolina)

The Leaves were the first to have the song as a single in 1966 - it took a while for the TV director on this clip to get to grips with which group member was singing (lip-syncing) which part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxNnLUAJl18
Love and the Byrds both had Hey Joe as LP tracks - David Crosby first had the song, Bryan Maclean, an early roadie for the Byrds took it with him when he joined Love, and the Leaves then heard the song performed live by Love.... All three groups credited it to Dino Valenti (aka Chester “Chet” Powers, later became a member of Quicksilver Messenger Service) who had either been given the song or purchased the copyright from Roberts, or just claimed the song as his own depending on which source is to be believed. When Tim Rose recorded a slowed down version (his was the one that Jimi heard) he claimed it as “Trad arr. Rose”.

Roberts’ name has since been restored as the writer including on what became the best known recording by the Jimi Hendrix Experience. Roberts maybe took the title from this Boudleaux Bryant song, a country hit for Carl Smith in 1953
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJ5RgPqPf2c
with an answer record by Kitty Wells
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C_Oq8q7f0s

In 2009 this 1962 recording of ‘Baby please don’t go to town’ by Niela Miller came to light; it now seems that Roberts (her one-time boyfriend) re-wrote her song (“He stole it from me, kept the melody and put different words to it”)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEK2EDqxpcY
https://heyjoeversions.wordpress.com/20 ... y-roberts/
http://www.numerogroup.com/products/nie ... of-leaving

https://heyjoeversions.wordpress.com/mo ... y-roberts/

Over 1800 versions listed -
https://heyjoeversions.wordpress.com/hey-joe-versions/

Re: Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:42 pm
by NormanD
Let's not forget the Scottish connection, with Edinburgh singer Len Partridge's apparent contribution to Billy Roberts's song. Or not.

Re: Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 pm
by willvine
That's a song with a great story. Imagine the judge having to pick the bones out of the copyright case.

Re: Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:29 pm
by alister prince
Uhmm, Tim Rose, now there's an interesting history. He, of course 'wrote' Morning Dew after Bonnie Dobson wrote and recorded a song of the same name...
Aly

Re: Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:58 pm
by john poole
NormanD wrote:Let's not forget the Scottish connection, with Edinburgh singer Len Partridge's apparent contribution to Billy Roberts's song. Or not.
I missed that, he is mentioned in part 4 of this nine part No Depression 'Hey Joe' epic -

http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe ... troduction
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-2
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-3
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-4
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-5
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-6
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-7
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-8
http://nodepression.com/article/hey-joe-part-9

the original quote -
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 25768.html

alastair prince wrote:Uhmm, Tim Rose, now there's an interesting history. He, of course 'wrote' Morning Dew after Bonnie Dobson wrote and recorded a song of the same name...
I think the story is that he claimed a co-writer's credit on Morning Dew, but had only made a minimal change to the original song - it appears that Bonnie Dobson now receives a 75% royalty, but Rose's estate receives the other 25%.

Re: Billy Roberts (16th August Birthday)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm
by willvine
alister prince wrote:Uhmm, Tim Rose, now there's an interesting history. He, of course 'wrote' Morning Dew after Bonnie Dobson wrote and recorded a song of the same name...Aly


Just as I was unlucky enough to have written both Yesterday and Let it Be only a few days after Paul MacCartney.