Page 2 of 4

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:18 pm
by Hugh Weldon
For those who are wondering what this is all about...

The divine Ayesha

Image
liftoff by agustin_77_uk, on Flickr

Tried to copy Fred & Ollie for your Californian friends Adam but wouldn't work. Damn. Though if anyone has any pictures of the Sooty bit players (Butch the dog, Kipper the bedraggled cat and Ramsbottom the snake) I'd be very interested. Or the Sooty-Braden showband in action.

Did Ayesha make any more records I wonder. She always used to do a song on the show I recall.

Bizarre thread drift this one. I don't think Kershaw would have got this, he struck me as a bit humourless as well.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:32 pm
by gary booth
Hugh Weldon wrote:Bizarre thread drift this one. I don't think Kershaw would have got this, he struck me as a bit humourless as well.


Maybe all those years with Christopher Trace & Valerie Singleton finally wore him down?

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 pm
by judith
Hugh Weldon wrote:Bizarre thread drift this one. I don't think Kershaw would have got this, he struck me as a bit humourless as well.


If it's a drift, I certainly don't mind. I've found it absolutely fascinating. The different viewpoints, writing styles, comments, introductions. (Being humorless - was that ever considered a tragic flaw (hamartia)? I can't remember. In my mind, it should have been, it often accompanies arrogance, or selective self serving ignorance, for example.)

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:45 pm
by Hugh Weldon
Gary

Maybe all those years with Christopher Trace & Valerie Singleton finally wore him down?


He does admit John Noakes as one of his heroes actually.

Maybe I should push the drift along and tell you my John Noakes story. Nah, save it for the autobiography...

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:59 pm
by AndyM
Hugh Weldon wrote:Tried to copy Fred & Ollie for your Californian friends Adam but wouldn't work. Damn. Though if anyone has any pictures of the Sooty bit players (Butch the dog, Kipper the bedraggled cat and Ramsbottom the snake) I'd be very interested. Or the Sooty-Braden showband in action.


Oh GOD those Sooty support cast were simply epic, especially Ramsbottom - a professional Northener and a snake. What drugs were they all ON ??/

(I am on a very tasty Coteaux de Languedoc blanc and life is good, if woozy.)

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:22 pm
by Adam Blake
Nice to see you having fun, Andy.

Roy Wood people know how brilliant he was, and you'll be pleased to hear that some of them are very young! (Some students and former students of mine - hem-hem)

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2011 11:44 pm
by AndyM
Hugh Weldon wrote:Maybe I should push the drift along and tell you my John Noakes story. Nah, save it for the autobiography...


Sneak previews welcome.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:26 pm
by Janet M
I was given a copy of No Off Switch and saved it for when I was recently stuck in an NHS Minibreak. Yes AK is a phenomenal pain in the fundament, and his constant self-aggrandisement got me grinding my teeth but I am grateful to him on 2 counts:
1. Utru Horas was on his Great Moments of Vinyl History album - I was hooked when a friend played this for me, I made her play it over and over again never before having heard anything quite so arresting. When my husband went to Senegal to work in 1992 I made him scour the shops and markets for anything by Orchestre Baobab - he came home with a pirated tape that essentially was Pirates Choice.
2. Once home from hospital I was motivated to dig out the cassette (remember them) that I made when the Bundu Boys performance at the Mean Fiddler was broadcast on the Beeb - this lovely lively music was a revelation and the track given below was the only way I could get my daughter to sleep when she was a very poorly baby. I would hold her in my arms and sway to this, the world's best lullaby for her improbable though it sounds.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dg-b19S-pUo

I bought a cassette of True Jit and was everso disappointed

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:38 am
by liono
I'm very disappointed to see Andy Kershaw being falsely accused of having been jailed for domestic violence in this thread. Andy has not even been accused of domestic violence before, never mind found guilty of it in a court and given a custodial sentence.

Claiming Andy Kershaw was guilty of domestic violence is a nasty, libellous smear, which should be removed from these forums immediately.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:32 am
by AndyM

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:51 am
by liono
AndyM,

I've read that article before. It does not mention or even imply any act of domestic violence by Andy Kershaw. Not once. No other press article on the matter does either. Because that did not happen.

As before, Andy Kershaw has never been accused of, or been found guilty of any crime relating to domestic violence. Never.

To state that he has been, is libellous. It is a nasty, prejudiced smear.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:20 pm
by NormanD
Hello liono, and welcome.

I don't wish to get involved in the details of Mr Kershaw's past behaviour and actions, but he does not come out of it as a person of upstanding character. Reviews I've read do not suggest that he deals extensively with these issues in his autobiography, if at all.

From my own knowledge, he had been jailed after being in breach of a court order relating to his behaviour. The original restraining order was in relation to domestic matters, which involved abuse or harassment of one kind or another.

More than that, is it worth getting het up? His book is either selling or not. He's trying to get BBC work again, so good luck to him for that. There are more significant views that may well affect his reputation than anything that might have been expressed here.

Regards

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:36 pm
by liono
NormanD,

Andy Kershaw does not deal with any issues of domestic violence in his book, because there are none to recount. End of.

The repeated claims here that Andy Kershaw was jailed for domestic violence issues, are false. They are wholly untrue, regardless of whether the restraining order related to a domestic matter. No accusation has ever been made regarding domestic violence, and no newspaper has ever reported such behaviour. Not once.

Yet here, on this forum, this lie is being told. And it is a lie. What is equally appalling is the closing of ranks to defend or obscure the lie.

At the risk of labouring the point, the claim posted on this thread that Andy Kershaw was jailed for a crime relating to domestic violence, is completely untrue and defamatory in nature.

As such, the claim deserves be removed from the thread by the forum administrators.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:45 pm
by Rob Hall
liono wrote:NormanD,

Andy Kershaw does not deal with any issues of domestic violence in his book, because there are none to recount. End of.

The repeated claims here that Andy Kershaw was jailed for domestic violence issues, are false. They are wholly untrue, regardless of whether the restraining order related to a domestic matter. No accusation has ever been made regarding domestic violence, and no newspaper has ever reported such behaviour. Not once.

Yet here, on this forum, this lie is being told. And it is a lie. What is equally appalling is the closing of ranks to defend or obscure the lie.

At the risk of labouring the point, the claim posted on this thread that Andy Kershaw was jailed for a crime relating to domestic violence, is completely untrue and defamatory in nature.

As such, the claim deserves be removed from the thread by the forum administrators.

Speaking as the closest thing we currently have to an administrator, perhaps you'd care to point out precisely where it is this claim is being made? I have looked and have not been able to find it.

Re: No Off Switch by Andy Kershaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:56 pm
by liono
garth cartwright wrote:He appears to be unable to reflect on his failings, constantly blaming others for his misfortune - snide comments about John Peel abound due to Peel not supporting our hero when Radio 1 dumped him (this could have been cos Peel was sick to his back teeth of this blowhard) and the alcoholism and domestic violence issues that saw him jailed are barely dealt with...