Page 1 of 1

Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:56 pm
by Jude
Ahem.. Just wanted to say that my new Cd was released into the world by Gonzo Multimedia on the 1st July. There is an edit of one of the tracks here, if anyone would care to hear..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWfUqSI7jSo

End of slightly embarrassed self-promotion..

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:22 pm
by NormanD
This is lovely, Judy, thanks for posting it here. I look forward to listening to it on BBC6, I hope Stuart Maconie picks it up for his Sunday show - it deserves to be heard widely.

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:44 pm
by Jude
Thank you Norman. Stuart does have a copy so fingers crossed....

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:51 pm
by Adam Blake
That's lovely, Jude. Thank you.

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:24 pm
by Jude
Thank you.. That's only half the song :-). I've not worked with a string arranger before, but Phil Toms is so very good..

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:47 pm
by Rob Hall
Do you know Jude, is there any connection between the Sisterhood of Ruralists and the Brotherhood of Ruralists?

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:31 am
by Jude
Rob Hall wrote:Do you know Jude, is there any connection between the Sisterhood of Ruralists and the Brotherhood of Ruralists?


Not in any real connection, just a nod in the direction of the Brotherhood, the Sisterhood of Ruralists are four women artists whose works take inspiration from the land, myths and folklore. All working in different disciplines - writing, illustration, stained glass, silverwork and painting. All four are friends, who work collaboratively and separately and for whom I wrote the song.
Samples of their work appear on the video and two of them, Jackie Morris and Catherine Hyde have let me use their images as artwork on the inlay booklet.
https://www.facebook.com/TheSisterhoodofRuralists?fref=ts

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:04 am
by will vine
I got talking at work to a girl, a children's librarian, about music, nothing very specific, just passing the time really. She said that she played a bit. Recently she gave me a cd she'd made. She works under the name of Minnie Birch (check youtube). I listened - lovely voice, haunting melodies, all her own compositions. On the downside - dodgy diction, pretty morose stuff, songs need a bit of editing. Her interest in children's literature was clear in the numerous quotes in the songs from nursery rhymes and allusions to fairy stories with particular references, I seem to remember, to the sea and sailors and to wolves and to woodcutters. Now here I am a very short time later listening to Judy Dyble singing a song of wildwoods, hills and valleys, dragons, and sky.

I'm clumsily edging my way to saying that it is a very long time since I willing subjected myself to such imagery in song and I don't always deal with it all that well. For once a video actually helped.

That said, I love a good melody and a good voice. I think this is quite majestic. Definitely a nostalgic feel.
Are you still knocking out Time Will Show The Wiser ?

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:06 pm
by Jude
will vine wrote:I got talking at work to a girl, a children's librarian, about music, nothing very specific, just passing the time really. She said that she played a bit. Recently she gave me a cd she'd made. She works under the name of Minnie Birch (check youtube). I listened - lovely voice, haunting melodies, all her own compositions. On the downside - dodgy diction, pretty morose stuff, songs need a bit of editing. Her interest in children's literature was clear in the numerous quotes in the songs from nursery rhymes and allusions to fairy stories with particular references, I seem to remember, to the sea and sailors and to wolves and to woodcutters. Now here I am a very short time later listening to Judy Dyble singing a song of wildwoods, hills and valleys, dragons, and sky.

I'm clumsily edging my way to saying that it is a very long time since I willing subjected myself to such imagery in song and I don't always deal with it all that well. For once a video actually helped.

That said, I love a good melody and a good voice. I think this is quite majestic. Definitely a nostalgic feel.
Are you still knocking out Time Will Show The Wiser ?


Thank you! It's more of a song about the artists and their work, than anything else. And the Sisterhood was formed when all four of them were staying with me after a big Art show. And errr some wine was drunk :-)

I only sing TWSTW when I am told to do so by Fairport at one of their reunion/anniversary shows.. the only song I still sing from those days is If I had a Ribbon Bow (complete with sigh) and that happens once every three years. (although I am doing another live gig in a couple of weeks so that makes two in a year)

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:17 pm
by Jude
and PS... the rest of the album isn't anywhere near as wildwoody and mythical as that track. :-)

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:26 am
by NormanD
Jude wrote: Stuart (Maconie) does have a copy so fingers crossed....
Uncross them now. You can hear the track in full (12 mins) on yesterday's BBC 6 Music's "Freak Zone". It's on at around 1:48, and the whole show's pretty good too
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036vpmv

Re: Flow And Change

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:37 pm
by Jude
NormanD wrote:
Jude wrote: Stuart (Maconie) does have a copy so fingers crossed....
Uncross them now. You can hear the track in full (12 mins) on yesterday's BBC 6 Music's "Freak Zone". It's on at around 1:48, and the whole show's pretty good too
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b036vpmv


I know.. I was gleefully grinning and telling everyone I could think of..