Page 2 of 2

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:18 pm
by Adam Blake
Aly, thank you.

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 7:48 am
by AndyM
Jools is surely the contemporary equivalent of those old bandleaders like Joe Loss or Edmundo Ros. Nobody would have expected anything from them other than popularised, accessible, undemanding variants of other more '''''''authentic''''''' musics. Maybe it's his adoption of 'rhythm & blues' into his combo's title that rankles with some.

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:37 am
by NormanD
Is '''''''authentic''''''' even less authentic than 'authentic'?

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:40 am
by AndyM
NormanD wrote:Is '''''''authentic''''''' even less authentic than 'authentic'?


It's just my wacky little way of stressing that authenticity doesn't exist. Plenty of people believe in it, but it's a fairy tale, a bit like God or Marxism.

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:04 pm
by will vine
AndyM wrote:Jools is surely the contemporary equivalent of those old bandleaders like Joe Loss or Edmundo Ros. Nobody would have expected anything from them other than popularised, accessible, undemanding variants of other more '''''''authentic''''''' musics. Maybe it's his adoption of 'rhythm & blues' into his combo's title that rankles with some.


Yes. His band is a revue, a showband, but a very good one. He may be ruthless, as Adam suggests, but I don't doubt his love of it all. I wouldn't think him to be cynical. I stopped short in my earlier post of comparing him with the classical clean-up operator Andre Rieu but now perhaps I'll go with it. Rieu repackages Strauss and sees no reason not to programme it with Abba and Benny Goodman (Puke inducing it may be, and the ultra heavy marketing is mindboggling - but that's not the point here.) Jools Holland tips his hat to everything from the pub piano through rockaboogie, soul and pop, to Jay McShann and all that jazz. It is unashamedly populist. I'll bet The Queen loves it. My 87 year old dad does.

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:16 pm
by AndyM
My Dad did too, as it happens. And I think Andre Rieu is a very good point of comparison.

What people like Jools offer to audiences is an escape from all the angst induced by the micro-managed taste and genre politics which is exactly what many SOTW bods, me included, invest in so heavily. Don't worry about whether the Supremes or the Vandellas were better, or which Coltrane era was best, or what distinguishes heavy metal from hard rock, just enjoy something pleasurable to listen to....... It's a SCANDAL, the very IDEA!!!!!

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:23 pm
by Adam Blake
AndyM wrote:just enjoy something pleasurable to listen to....... It's a SCANDAL, the very IDEA!!!!!


You realise if this catches on we're finished? (as Wilfred Hyde-White is alleged to have said to his agent upon reading the reviews for "Look Back in Anger"...)

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:25 pm
by AndyM
Precisely! That's why we have to be so snotty about it!!

Re: Jools Holland and his rhythm & blues orchestra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:51 pm
by Rob Hall
AndyM wrote:
NormanD wrote:Is '''''''authentic''''''' even less authentic than 'authentic'?


It's just my wacky little way of stressing that authenticity doesn't exist. Plenty of people believe in it, but it's a fairy tale, a bit like God or Marxism.


*LIke*