Page 1 of 3

Bands with Two Kit Drummers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:49 pm
by Ted
1. The Glitter Band
2. Adam And The Ants
3. The Dirtbombs

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:19 pm
by Dominic
4. The Fall c.1984

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:21 pm
by judith
5. The Allman Brothers

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:37 pm
by judith
Traffic (1971-3) - in fact, if you count Reebop Kwaaku Baah on congas, timbales and bongos they had three...

Ginger Baker's Airforce had about fifteen drummers, didn't they?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:50 pm
by Papa M
Zaiko Langa Langa
Grateful Dead
Pink Fairies (not that they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the above two). :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:47 pm
by Dominic
Papa M wrote:Zaiko Langa Langa
Grateful Dead
Pink Fairies (not that they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the above two). :wink:

Don't you mean :Twink: ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:41 pm
by Papa M
Dominic wrote:Don't you mean :Twink: ?


You remember Twink?

It sounds like one of those..."If you can remember Twink then you probably weren't really there!" :-D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:14 am
by tulsehill charlie
Ornette Coleman's Prime Time c1978
The Funk Brothers
King Crimson recently

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:02 am
by matt
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds...some songs on the current tour

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:19 pm
by Dominic
Papa M wrote:
Dominic wrote:Don't you mean :Twink: ?


You remember Twink?

It sounds like one of those..."If you can remember Twink then you probably weren't really there!" :-D

I remember seeing his name regularly in the NME and for some reason it stuck in my mind. I sometimes think David Bowie sings "Twink the wonderkid" on Drive In Saturday, but then I used to think it was "sticky-back tarmac" on That's Entertainment.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:28 pm
by John Bainbridge
Showaddywaddy. And I'm not ashamed of knowing it. They were good fun at the time - if you were 15.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:31 pm
by Papa M
Dominic wrote:I remember seeing his name regularly in the NME and for some reason it stuck in my mind.


I used to see those bands with Twink (Pink Fairies, Hawkwind etc) at UK free festivals in the early 70s. They were fun but I had already started to get a penchant for the country influenced groups like Brinsley Schwartz, Formerly Fat Harry etc. And there were some nice groups with an Afro influence like Demon Fuzz, Neon, and of course Ginger Baker's Airforce.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:33 pm
by Papa M
John Bainbridge wrote:Showaddywaddy. And I'm not ashamed of knowing it. They were good fun at the time - if you were 15.


I suppose that if you were in Co. Durham at the time you might not have had the luxury of seeing the cooler groups like we did here in Brighton. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:51 pm
by Adam Blake
Dominic wrote: I sometimes think David Bowie sings "Twink the wonderkid" on Drive In Saturday, but then I used to think it was "sticky-back tarmac" on That's Entertainment.


In the absence of Howard, I feel duty bound to point out that it's actually "Twig the wonderkid" - a clear reference to Twiggy - Lesley Hornby - the first stick like supermodel, and still in business 40 years later modelling for Marks and Spencer.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:47 am
by Jonathan E.
Papa M wrote:

I used to see those bands with Twink (Pink Fairies, Hawkwind etc) at UK free festivals in the early 70s.

Long live Pink Fairies!

I vaguely recall that Twink came from The Pretty Things, but that is not a guaranteed fact. Most of the rest of the Fairies came from The Deviants, a band with many interesting members passing through including Mick Farren, who later wrote some worthwhile science-fiction. The Fairies had something of a tangled history — but Never Never Land remains one of my favourite all-time albums. I see it's available again, on CD, along with various live sets as are some of the Deviants albums. I played with a lot of braincells listening to those two bands.

I remember for real going to The Roundhouse on a Sunday afternoon, it must have been late 1970, early 1971 to see the Fairies along with Hawkwind. The English chapter of the Hell's Angels were doing security and there appeared to be some sort of a reenactment of Altamont going on. The band (Hawkwind, I guess) stopped playing, accusing the Angels of killing someone in the audience, all was chaos. Things seemed to get most unpleasant and tense. All I could do was blackout which I did. I came around hours later as the concert ended, wandered the streets of London, and never knew what really happened.